- 3 large round zucchini (enough for 24 slices)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or coconut oil / ghee = clarified butter)
- 100 g (4.5 oz) baby spinach
- 50 g (3 oz) alfalfa sprouts
- 2 ripe avocados
- 200 g smoky tofu (or other protein of your choice – see tips)
- ½ cucumber
- 1 tomato
- Sea salt and black pepper
Looking for easy keto lunch recipes that you can prepare in advance and take with you on the go?
These Keto Lunch Sandwiches with Avocado and Smoky Tofu are super flavorful and ready in just 10 minutes! They’re the perfect combination of healthy fats, protein and fiber: great to beat sugar cravings and stay energized until dinnertime.
I’ve replaced the bread with slices of grilled zucchini. Other low carb keto ideas include slices of grilled eggplant, lettuce wraps, avocado buns, egg wraps…
If you prefer ‘proper’ keto bread, check out the recipe for Almond Bread (1.4 g net carbs per slice) from my book Go Keto…
… or this Super Seed Bread (2,4 g net carbs per slice) from my book Het Keto Plan.
I’ve added 7 serving suggestions in the tips: vegan, vegetarian and flexitarian + a higher carb recipe that makes a great post-workout recovery meal.
Whether your take these keto sandwiches with you to work, school, the beach or on the road, I hope you’ll enjoy!
PS: Simon & I are organizing a brand new Go Keto Workshop at Ampla House in Ghent on Thursday evening September 26th!
To celebrate the launch of the new book and to meet you in person so you can ask me all your questions :)
It will be the only official book launch workshop in Ghent this year so if you’d like to join us, make sure to reserve your seat by clicking HERE.
The program will include a ‘Go Keto’ workshop with live cooking demos, tasting (including our Chocolate Hazelnut ‘Nutella’ Energy Bites!), Q&A, meet & greet and more!
7 x Keto Lunch Sandwich with Grilled Zucchini
- Cut the zucchini in slices of 0.5 to 1 centimeter. Grill in a pan with olive oil (or coconut oil/butter). You could also bake them in a pre-heated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10 minutes until ‘al dente’.
- Season with pepper and salt when the zucchini is done (so the vegetable ‘sandwiches’ don’t get soggy).
- In the meantime, slice the tomato, cucumber, tofu and avocado.
- Assemble the sandwiches by topping the grilled zucchini with avocado, tofu, cucumber, tomato, baby spinach and sprouts. Top with a second slice of grilled zucchini and secure with a wooden stick or toothpick. You could also add a spoonful of your favorite dipping sauce like this romesco sauce or pesto.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
Looking for more keto sandwich ideas? Try these 7 delicious keto sandwiches for lunch!
- mozzarella + olive tapenade or sundried tomato pesto
- sunny side up + grilled Portobello + shredded goat cheese
- wild-caught fatty fish (like smoked Alaskan salmon, sardines on olive oil…) + asparagus
- leftover chicken or turkey + keto mayonnaise (there's a recipe in Het Keto Plan)
- roasted sweet potato + grilled chicken or tofu
Now I would love to hear from you!
What is your favorite quick lunch? Would you like me to share more easy low carb lunch recipes?
Let me know by leaving a comment down below.
Nutritional value (per sandwich)
Calories 144 kcal
Net carbs 2.1 g
Protein 5.1 g
Fats 12.1 g