Spring time is the perfect season to cleanse your body and detoxify your liver! This Flat Belly Detox Smoothie will help you to fight fatigue, boost your immune system and get fit. The base is pineapple, an excellent fruit to hydrate your body and improve your absorption of essential minerals such as iron. The smoothie also contains fresh lime (packed with vitamin C) and three powerful superfoods: maca powder, spirulina and turmeric. These make an excellent addition to any smoothie!
Flat Belly Detox Smoothie
SERVES: 1 person
1 cup of ripe pineapple, peeled and roughly chopped
2 medium size ripe bananas, fresh or frozen and roughly chopped
½ cup of water
½ small lime, peeled
1 teaspoon of maca powder
½ teaspoon of spirulina powder
1/8 teaspoon of turmeric powder (a little goes a long way!)
2 large handfuls of greens of your choice: spinach, kale, chard, collard greens, curly endive, bok choy, dandelion greens, Romaine lettuce… (I used spinach and kale)
- Combine pineapple, banana, water, lime, maca powder, spirulina powder and turmeric in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add your leafy greens and blend again.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- I topped this smoothie with some chia seeds and hemp seeds for extra protein, and a little spirulina + turmeric powder for color. • Don’t have time to prepare yourself a fresh smoothie in the morning? Blend it the night before, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator and you’ve got a super quick and nutritious breakfast waiting for you in the morning!
- Turmeric is often called ‘the queen of all spices’. It can protect your heart, enhance your digestion, improve your liver function and much more. I love adding it to vegetable stews, sauces and smoothies like this one. You can substitute the powder for fresh turmeric too!
- Maca powder is extremely rich in minerals, vitamins and protein. It will boost your energy levels, help to balance your hormones and reduce your stress levels.
- Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae. It is packed with protein, B-vitamins and antioxidants that will help to reduce inflammation and protect you against free radicals. Great news for your skin, hair, nails and overall health!
Now I would love to hear from you! Are you a fan of adding superfoods to your smoothies and shakes, or do you like to keep it really simple? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.