Do you remember the almond cashew cheese I used for the Greek salad appetizer last week? Today I want to show you how you can transform this creamy dairy-free feta alternative into Raw Vegan Cheese Crackers with Italian Herbs & Red Onion… without adding any extra nuts or flax seeds!
Raw Vegan Cheese Crackers with Italian Herbs & Red Onion
SERVES: 1 dehydrator tray
EQUIPMENT: dehydrator (or regular oven), offset spatula or spoon
Almond Cashew Cheese
1 small red onion, minced
½ tablespoon of dried oregano
½ tablespoon of dried basil
½ tablespoon of dried rosemary
1 teaspoon of dried thyme (optional)
- Use a spatula to spread the almond cashew cheese mixture onto a dehydrator tray lined with a Teflex sheet or a fire-resistant tray if you are working with a regular oven.
- Top the mixture with minced red onion, oregano, basil, rosemary and thyme.
- Dehydrate the crackers at 115°F (or the lowest temperature of your oven & hot air circulation) for 12 hours or longer, until the top of the crackers is completely dry and crunchy.
- When the crackers are dry enough, flip them over by placing a second dehydrator tray (without a Teflex sheet) on top of the crackers and turning both around. Now you can easily remove the Teflex sheet that is still covering the moist side of the crackers. This will allow them to dry more quickly and efficiently.
- Dehydrate the crackers for another 10 hours or more until they are completely dry on both sides. They will still be slightly soft on the inside.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- These Italian Herb Onion Cheese Crackers will stay fresh for at least 1 month in an airtight container in the refrigerator (if they last that long ☺).
- If you prefer to add fresh herbs instead of the dried version, use 1 tablespoon or more of each herb.
- Depending on your personal preference, you can add ½ tablespoon (or more) of lemon juice to the almond cashew cheese for a ‘sharper’ taste or 1-2 small pitted dates for a sweeter result.
- Feel free to experiment with different kinds of herbs such as coriander, fennel, dill, lavender, sage, tarragon, crushed peppercorn…
Now I would love to hear from you! What kind of raw vegan crackers would you like me to create next? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.