Can you believe it’s almost Valentine’s Day? It’s crazy how quickly the year is passing by! Today I’ve got a super simple recipe for you that you can make as a sweet Valentine treat or a late-night snack any time of the year: Salted Chocolate Caramel Popcorn. It was Simon who was the first to try this recipe, he’s usually the one who’s making popcorn on movie nights. It only has four simple ingredients + I’ll show you the magic trick to make perfect popcorn every single time!
Salted Chocolate Caramel Popcorn
SERVES: 2 people
EQUIPMENT: large cooking pot
½ cup popcorn kernels
1 ½ tablespoon coconut oil
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1-2 large tablespoons chocolate coconut sugar, to taste
1. Heat your coconut oil until it’s completely melted. Don’t warm it over high heat because the popcorn will burn too quickly.
2. Once the oil is melted put a few kernels into the pan, cover it and wait for them to pop. This will help to determine when the oil is properly heated.
3. Once the test kernels have popped, place the rest of the popcorn seeds in the pot and cover it.
4. After the kernels begin popping, turn off the heat and shake the pot every 5 seconds or so until you hear the popping slow down.
5. Remove the pot from the heat and continue shaking for another 10 seconds. This will prevent the popcorn at the bottom from burning.
6. As soon as the popping has finished, add the sea salt & chocolate coconut sugar and mix well. The coconut sugar will melt and turn into chocolate caramel when the popcorn is still warm.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
• This Salted Chocolate Caramel Popcorn will stay fresh for at least 4 days in a glass jar.
• Don’t have any chocolate coconut sugar at home? You can replace it with regular coconut sugar and cacao powder, or you can drizzle some of your favorite melted chocolate on top of the popcorn.
Now I would love to hear from you! What’s your favorite popcorn flavor: classic caramel, cheddar cheese, sea salt…? Have you ever tried making it yourself or do you prefer having it at the movies? Definitely let me know by leaving a comment down below.