During wintertime I always crave sweet and creamy drinks that bring comfort and help me to get through those darkest days of the year. This Caramel Apple Pie Shake with Gingerbread Crumble is just that. You can have it as a quick snack, a sweet breakfast or you can even turn it into a protein shake by adding hemp or chia seeds. It will definitely boost your energy levels and give you a warm comforting feeling.
Caramel Apple Pie Shake with Gingerbread Crumble
SERVES: 1 person (1 large glass)
EQUIPMENT: blender, food processor, coffee grinder, rubber spatula
Gingerbread Spice Mix (large ¼ cup)
2 tablespoons of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of ginger powder
1 tablespoon of cardamom
1 tablespoon of cloves
½ teaspoon of star anise
Gingerbread Crumble (½ cup)
¼ cup of raisins
¼ cup of almonds, soaked for 8 to 12 hours & dehydrated until crisp (if you don’t have a dehydrator, use cashews or pumpkin/sunflower seeds)
¼ teaspoon of gingerbread spice mix
2 large pinches of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt (optional, for flavor balance)
Caramel Apple Pie Shake
1 cup of almond milk (or hemp milk, coconut milk, rice milk…)
1 small apple 4 small dates
1 tablespoon of cashews (or replace with ½ small banana)
¼ teaspoon of vanilla powder
1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 large pinches of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt (optional)
Gingerbread Spice Mix
Combine cinnamon, ginger powder, cardamom, cloves and star anise in a coffee grinder. Grind into a fine spice mix.
Combine raisins, almonds, gingerbread spice mix and salt in the food processor fitted with an S-blade. Process until well combined.
Caramel Apple Pie Shake
- Combine almond milk, apple, dates, cashews, vanilla powder, cinnamon and salt in the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add a generous serving of gingerbread crumble.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- This Gingerbread Spice Mix will stay fresh for at least 3 months if you store it in a sealed glass jar in a cool, dark place.
- Don’t have the time to create freshly ground gingerbread spices? Buy a bag of gingerbread spice mix in your local store or just use plain cinnamon.
- This Gingerbread Crumble will stay fresh for at least 1 week in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The Caramel Apple Pie Shake should last at least 2 days in the refrigerator if you are using fresh almond milk.
Now I would love to hear from you! What’s your favorite ‘comfort’ drink during wintertime: hot chocolate, warming chai latte…? I would love to discover your favorites & create a raw vegan version for you, so definitely leave a comment down below.