When I was 5 years old I remember running off to the candy cupboard while my mom was putting my younger sister asleep, taking a handful of candy, stuffing it in my mouth and running back to the sofa before anyone would notice. My mom must have heard me running around like a little maniac, so she came to see what was going on. When she asked me what I was up to, I almost couldn’t keep the candy in my mouth. It must have been a funny sight ☺ The verdict: no more candy for me – at least for 2 weeks. Nowadays, I satisfy my sweet tooth with plenty sweets fruits and raw vegan treats like chocolate mousse or pear crumble. Do you have a sweet tooth too? Valentine’s day is the perfect occasion to treat yourself and your loved one to a sweet treat like these Frangipane Bars with Raspberry Jam. Enjoy!
Frangipane Bars with Raspberry Jam
SERVES: 10 small square bars
EQUIPMENT: food processor, blender, rubber spatula, small glass baking pan
Frangipane Crust (2 cups)
1 cup of almonds, soaked overnight and dehydrated until crisp
1 cup of almond flour
1 ½ cup of soft dates, pitted and finely chopped
3 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon of water (start with less, for binding)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of almond extract
¼ teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
½ teaspoon of coconut oil (to grease the baking pan)
Raspberry Jam (2 cups)
1 cup of raspberries, fresh or frozen
1 cup of date paste
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
3 tablespoons of lemon juice (for brightness)
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Place the almonds in the food processor. Process into fine flour.
- Add almond flour and finely chopped dates. Process again.
- Add coconut oil, water, vanilla extract, almond extract and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Grease your baking pan with coconut oil. This will prevent the frangipane crust from sticking to the baking pan.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the baking pan. Place the pan in the refrigerator while you prepare the raspberry jam.
- Combine raspberries, date paste, chia seeds, lemon juice and vanilla extract in the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour on top of the frangipane crust.
- Garnish with almond slices. Serve immediately or refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer if you prefer a firmer texture.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
These Frangipane Bars with Raspberry Jam will stay fresh for at least 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Now I would love to hear from you! What’s your favorite Valentine dessert? I’m always looking for classics to ‘healthify’, so let me know by leaving a comment down below.