Happy 2017! I know it’s the time to start talking about New Year’s resolutions, but I actually believe that any month of the year is a good time to treat yourself to a creamy breakfast shake like today’s Good Morning Energy Smoothie. To me, starting the day with a nourishing (and equally delicious!) breakfast isn’t about getting skinny or burning ‘excess fat’. If drinking a green smoothie in the morning will help you to achieve a natural healthy weight, that’s cool! I actually have it because it helps me to wake up feeling energized and refreshed + beat sugar cravings during the day. Either way, I hope you’ll love this breakfast shake as much as I do!
Good Morning Energy Smoothie
SERVES: 1-2 people (depending on what else you’re having for breakfast)
2 large ripe bananas
1 small grapefruit
1 tablespoon chia seeds
Fresh ginger, to taste (optional)
Chilled green/herbal tea, water or non-dairy milk, to thin
3-4 handfuls leafy greens (spinach, kale, chard, romaine lettuce…)
1. Combine banana, grapefruit, orange, chia seeds, ginger and chilled tea in a blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Add the leafy greens and blend again.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
• Not a fan of grapefruit? Replace it with orange or apple.
• Don’t have time to make a smoothie in the morning (or don’t want to disturb your neighbors that early)? You can make this smoothie in the evening, store it in the fridge overnight and take it with you on the go the next morning.
• Chia seeds are a good source of plant-based protein and omega 3 fats. They're also really hydrating and packed with essential minerals such as calcium, magnesium and phosphor.
Now I would love to hear from you! Do you like to start your day with a green smoothie as well? What are the top 3 benefits you’ve experienced: more energy, mental clarity, better sleep, clearer skin, fewer sugar cravings… Definitely let me know by leaving a comment down below.
Read more about the 10 Best Leafy Greens for Green Smoothies (+awesome recipes) right here!