You might not suspect it but my favorite cuisine of all time is Indian! There are always plenty of plant-based dishes to choose from and I love how they turn vegetables and legumes into the most delicious dishes by adding colorful spices and herbs. This Green Lentil Salad with Spiced Carrots is based on a classic French dish but I changed a thing or two and infused it with Indian flavors. It makes a perfect light lunch or a tasty side dish.
Green Lentil Salad with Spiced Carrots
SERVES: 2 people
EQUIPMENT: vegetable peeler, glass jar, small and large mixing bowl
2 large carrots, cut into long thin strips with a vegetable peeler/mandolin
1 small handful of raisins, roughly chopped (optional)
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 ½ tablespoon of Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon of ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon of garam masala
1/8 teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Green Lentil Salad
4 small heads of Romaine lettuce, finely chopped
2 cups of baby spinach
1 cup of green lentils, soaked overnight and cooked until tender
2 stalks of spring onion, finely chopped
2 small handfuls of fresh parsley
2 small handfuls of fresh mint
2 small handfuls of fresh cilantro (optional)
- Turn your carrots into long strips using a vegetable peeler or mandolin. Put them in a mixing bowl. You can choose to grate, shred or spiralize your carrots too, but I prefer a crunchier texture in this salad.
- Roughly chop the raisins and add them to the mixing bowl.
- Take a glass jar and add lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, maple syrup, cumin, garam masala, salt and black pepper to taste. Close the lid and shake well.
- Add the dressing to the mixing bowl and stir well. Set aside so the carrots and raisins can soak up all the flavors.
Green Lentil Salad
Combine Romaine lettuce, baby spinach, green lentils, spring onion, parsley, mint and cilantro in a large mixing bowl.
Add the spiced carrots and stir well. Bon appétit!
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- This Green Lentil Salad with Spiced Carrots will stay fresh for at least 2 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you only add the dressing right before serving the salad, you can store it even longer.
- Garam masala is an Indian spice mixture made with cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and other delicious spices. You can find it in most stores.
- Lentils are a great source of protein, iron, phosphorus and dietary fiber. You can use a jar of cooked lentils from your local health food store, or cook them yourself. Always soak your lentils in lukewarm water for at least 8 hours, rinse them well, pour away the soaking water and then cook them until they’re soft. I like to add a small piece of kombu seaweed to the cooking water because this makes the lentils easier to digest. Green lentils take no longer than 10 to 15 minutes to cook if they’re properly soaked.
Now I would love to hear from you! What’s your favorite type of cuisine: Italian, Indian, Thai, Chinese, French…? I would love to try some of your preferred dishes, so please let me know by leaving a comment down below.