Can you believe the first half of the year has already passed? These past 6 months have been filled with so many exciting new projects (including my first published cookbook!) that I didn’t realize time flew by so fast. Now that school has started again, I’ve been getting several requests for back-to-school candy so I wanted to share one of my favorite energy snacks: Protein Power Date Balls! These are packed with plant-based protein & fiber, they are super easy to make and they taste incredibly sweet without adding any refined sugars. You could fool even the most stubborn sugar addicts ☺
Protein Power Date Balls
SERVES: 25 small balls
EQUIPMENT: food processor, rubber spatula
2 tablespoons of chia seeds, soaked for 5 minutes in ¼ cup of water (add more water if needed for binding)
1 ¼ cup of dates, pitted
½ cup of walnuts, soaked overnight (or almonds)
¼ cup of oats (purchase gluten free if you are allergic)
¼ cup of shredded coconut, unsweetened
¼ cup of sesame seeds
½ tablespoon of hemp seeds
¼ teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of vanilla powder
Shredded coconut & sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Soak your chia seeds in water for 5 minutes. This will turn into chia gel.
- Add dates, walnuts and oats to the food processor fitted with an S-blade. Mix until well combined.
- Add shredded coconut, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, salt, cinnamon and vanilla powder. Process again.
- Shape the dough into small truffles and roll them in shredded coconut and sesame seeds.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- These Protein Power Date Balls will stay fresh for at least 3 weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Sesame seeds are packed with protein and essential minerals such as magnesium and calcium.
Now I would love to hear from you! What used to be your favorite back-to-school snack? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.