What’s your favorite breakfast to kick-start your day full of energy? I couldn’t imagine starting my day without a green smoothie! This Tropical Flat Belly Smoothie is my go-to shake when I don’t have any ripe bananas in the house. It has everything you need in the morning to boost your metabolism and increase your energy: healthy fats, protein, minerals, fiber and natural fruit sugars. I love having it as a post-workout shake as well, because it will help you to burn fat and build lean muscles. If you like your shakes extra creamy – like I do – make sure to use frozen berries!
Tropical Flat Belly Smoothie
SERVES: 1 person
1 cup of pineapple
¼ cup of berries, fresh or frozen
¼ cup of water (or more to taste)
1 tablespoon of your favorite protein powder (or 1 teaspoon of chia seeds)
1 teaspoon of hemp seeds
½ teaspoon of spirulina powder (or more if you can handle the taste)
2 large handfuls of greens: spinach, kale, chard, radish greens, bok choy, collard greens, curly endive, carrot greens…
1. Combine pineapple, orange, berries, water, protein powder, hemp seeds and spirulina powder in a blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Add the leafy greens and blend again.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
• There are many great plant-based protein powder brands on the market, but they all taste so different! Some products I’ve discovered are: Vanilla Lucuma Protein Powder from Sprout Living, Vega One Nutritional Shake French Vanilla, Sunwarrior Vanilla Protein and Livwell Raw Plant Protein Vanilla.
• Not a big fan of protein powders? You could also just use pure hemp protein – hemp seeds contain all the essential amino acids your body needs to stay strong!
• Don’t like the taste of pineapple? You could replace it with mango, banana, extra frozen berries…
• Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae. It is packed with protein, B-vitamins and antioxidants that will help to reduce inflammation and protect you against free radicals. Great news for your skin, hair, nails and overall health!
Now I would love to hear from you! Do you like to add protein to your smoothies? What’s your favorite product or brand? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.