Summer time is ice cream time! Who doesn’t love a large scoop of sweet and silky ice cream? And guess what: the raw version of this frozen classic doesn’t contain any of the dairy, eggs, sugar or preservatives used in commercially produced ice cream. It doesn’t even involve complicated ingredients or a fancy ice cream maker. All you need are frozen bananas and almond butter to create this delicious Almond Butter Banana Ice Cream. Now everyone will be able to enjoy a scoop (or two) of this guilt-free, creamy & sweet summer treat!
Almond Butter Banana Ice Cream
SERVES: 2 large scoops
EQUIPMENT: food processor, rubber spatula
3 frozen bananas
1 large tablespoon of almond butter (or more)
10 drops of pure vanilla extract (or 2 large pinches of vanilla powder)
1 generous pinch of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt (optional)
- Put the frozen bananas in the food processor and process until fairly smooth. Every now and then, stop the food processor to scrape down the sides.
- Add the almond butter, vanilla extract and salt. Process again for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Eat the ice cream as a soft serve or put it in the freezer for 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how deeply frozen you want it.
JULIE’S TIPS AND TRICKS:
- Always use ripe bananas. You will know bananas are ripe when they have a deep yellow color and start getting little brown spots. They will also have a thin brown line just underneath their ‘head’, which indicates that the banana would normally be ready to be hand picked from its tree.
- To freeze the bananas: peel them first, slice them in large chunks and freeze them in zip lock bags or Tupperware containers.