I was flipping through some childhood picture albums the other day and they reminded me of how much I used to love Bounty Bars. You know, those candy bars with a sweet coconut filling and a milk chocolate coating. I’ve already shared my raw vegan version of raw vegan Bounty Truffles in the past but I was still in the mood for a sweet treat with chocolate and coconut so I decided to create these Chocolate Coconut Macaroons. They are super easy to make, ready in just 15 minutes and they only contain 7 simple ingredients!
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
SERVES: 18 small macaroons
EQUIPMENT: food processor, rubber spatula, small cookie scoop (optional)
1 cup of shredded coconut, unsweetened
½ cup of almond flour (ground almonds)
4 to 6 tablespoons of cacao powder, unsweetened (to taste)
4 tablespoons of maple syrup
3 to 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
2 large pinches of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
- Combine the shredded coconut, almond flour, cacao powder, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract and salt in the food processor fitted with an S-blade. Mix until well combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop or measuring spoon, scoop the dough into small macaroons and carefully put them on a plate lined with parchment paper or plastic foil (so they don’t stick to the plate).
- Put the macaroons in the freezer for about 5 minutes until they are nice and firm.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- You can store these chocolate macaroons in an airtight container in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks or in the freezer for at least 1 month.
- Are you a coffee lover? Add 1 teaspoon espresso powder (or more to taste) to the dough for a mocha flavor.
Now I would love to hear from you! What was your favorite chocolate candy bar as a child? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.