Do you find yourself craving more sweets and comfort foods during wintertime? Me too! I mean, who doesn’t love coming home to a warm house with a plate of healthy cookies waiting to be devoured after a long walk in the cold? These Chocolate Covered Banana Bread Cookies are really easy to prepare + they are packed with energizing superfoods and completely free from refined sugars, gluten and dairy. To enjoy every bite… guilt free!
Chocolate Covered Banana Bread Cookies
SERVES: 12 medium cookies
EQUIPMENT: food processor, rubber spatula, blender
Banana Bread Cookies
1 ½ cup of cashews
1 ½ cup of white almonds
½ cup of dried banana, unsweetened
½ cup of fresh ripe banana
¼ cup of dates, pitted and finely chopped
1 tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
Almonds, finely chopped (for garnish)
¼ cup of extra virgin coconut oil, warmed until liquid
¼ cup of maple syrup (or coconut nectar, date syrup…)
¼ cup of cacao powder, unsweetened
Banana Bread Cookies
- Combine cashews and almonds in a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Mix until finely ground.
- Add the dried banana and mix again.
- Add the fresh banana and dates, and process again.
- Finally add the coconut oil, vanilla extract and salt, and process until well combined.
- Shape the dough into medium balls and press them down with the palm of your hand to create round cookies.
- Put the cookies on a large plate covered with baking paper or plastic foil to prevent them from sticking to the plate, and place them in the refrigerator or freezer while you prepare the chocolate glaze.
- Warm your coconut oil until liquid.
- Combine the liquid coconut oil and maple syrup in the blender. Blend for a few seconds to mix both.
- Add your cacao powder gradually to the blender while it is running on low speed. Close the lid of the blender, increase the speed and blend for 20 seconds or longer until you’ve got smooth chocolate glaze.
- Pour the chocolate glaze on top of your chilled cookies and garnish with the finely chopped almonds.
- Put the cookies in the refrigerator or freezer for 5 to 10 minutes until the chocolate has hardened.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- These Chocolate Covered Banana Bread Cookies will stay fresh for at least 1 week in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Looking for other toppings? Try goji berries, finely chopped pecans, mulberries, cacao nibs, shredded coconut, lavender flowers…
- Serve these cookies with a hot cup of tea or a glass of warmed cinnamon almond milk.
- If you don’t have a blender at home, you can prepare this chocolate glaze in a double boiler or in a medium bowl over simmering water as well.
Now I would love to hear from you! What is your favorite type of cookie? Chocolate Caramel, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Chocolate Chip… I’m looking for new recipe inspiration so let me know by leaving a comment down below.