Trick or treat! Time for healthy Halloween candy ☺ These Mexican Cacao Cookie Dough Bites are my absolute favorite sweet snack at the moment. They are chewy with a little crunch, naturally sweet and packed with plant-based protein. Thanks to the addition of cinnamon and cayenne pepper – they are Mexican, after all – these cookie dough bites will warm you up and get your fat-burning metabolism going. Enjoy them as an afternoon treat to satisfy your sweet tooth, or have them as a pre-workout snack to boost your energy levels!
Mexican Cacao Cookie Dough Bites
SERVES: 20 small truffles
EQUIPMENT: food processor, rubber spatula
½ teaspoon of chia seeds, soaked for 5 minutes in 1 tablespoon of water
1 cup of almonds, soaked overnight and dehydrated until crisp (or extra cashews)
½ cup of cashews
½ cup of shredded coconut, unsweetened
½ cup of dates, pitted and roughly chopped
¼ cup of pumpkin seeds (or extra almonds)
3 tablespoons of cacao nibs
½ teaspoon of hemp seeds (or extra chia seeds)
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Combine chia seeds and water in a small glass or bowl. Stir until well combined and set aside.
- Combine almonds and cashews in the food processor fitted with an S-blade. Mix until coarsely ground.
- Add coconut and dates. Process again until finely ground.
- Add the pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs, hemp seeds, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt, cayenne pepper and chia seed gel. Process until well combined.
- Shape your dough into small cookie dough bites. Cover them with raw cacao powder or other toppings of your choice.
- Place the cookie dough bites in the freezer for at least 10 minutes or in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes to harden (if you can wait that long…).
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- These Mexican Cacao Cookie Dough Bites will stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for at least 1 month.
- Not a big fan of cinnamon and/or cayenne? Just leave the spices out and enjoy the cookie dough bites without the Mexican flavoring!
Now I would love to hear from you! What’s your favorite Halloween candy? Would you like me to create a healthier refined sugar free version? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.