Do you like having something sweet and hydrating for breakfast during summertime too? Especially when it’s getting warmer, I love starting my day with a green smoothie, a creamy protein shake or a delicious smoothie bowl like this Superfood Berry Breakfast Bowl. It lifts my spirit, increases my energy levels and it tastes like liquid ice cream in a bowl. I mean, what’s not to like? This smoothie bowl is high in protein, healthy fats, energizing glucose and it even has some hidden leafy greens. The perfect start of the day!
Superfood Berry Breakfast Bowl
SERVES: 1-2 people (depending on what else you’re having for breakfast)
EQUIPMENT: blender, rubber spatula
2 cups of almond milk
2 large bananas
1 cup of mixed berries
1 teaspoon of chia seeds
1 teaspoon of maca powder (optional)
1 teaspoon of lucuma powder (optional)
1 handful of spinach (or kale, chard, mint…)
Toppings of your choice: fresh berries, goji berries, chia seeds, shredded coconut, pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped almonds…
- Combine almond milk, banana, berries, chia seeds, maca powder and lucuma powder in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the greens of your choice and blend again.
- Pour into a bowl and add the toppings of your choice.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- I used fresh almond milk for this recipe, but you could use store-bought as well (although it won’t be as creamy and flavorful). Just make sure it’s unsweetened.
- Maca powder and lucuma powder are optional, but they will add a nice flavor to this smoothie bowl and lots of health benefits. Maca powder will increase your energy levels, balance your hormones and help you to deal with stress. Lucuma powder is really great for your skin since it has anti-aging properties and it will support your immune system as well.
- You can add any toppings you like but I always include chia seeds and pumpkin seeds because of their health benefits. Chia seeds will get you protein and healthy omega-3-fats. Pumpkin seeds are loaded with essential minerals such as magnesium, zinc and iron.
Now I would love to hear from you! Have you ever tried a smoothie bowl before? What’s your favorite recipe? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.