Does the skin around your hips, thighs and bottom resemble orange peel, or worse: cottage cheese? Although cellulite might be a harmless condition that affects 95% of all women around the world, we still hate it! These 5 tips will help you to naturally get rid of cellulite, or at least dramatically reduce its appearance.
Tip 1: Drink plenty of purified water & green tea
Water, green tea and fresh lemon juice help to balances your pH and flush out toxins that are ‘locked’ in the fat cells right beneath your skin. By eliminating these build-up toxins, your body will be able to let go of excess fat cells – resulting in major weight loss. Proper hydration will also clean out your lymphatic system and strengthen the collagen in your skin, helping to reduce that ‘lumpy’ look. Drink at least 1,5 liter of purified water a day (filtered or bottled spring water, ideally from glass bottles) and try replacing your daily cups of coffee with green or herbal tea. Coffee makes cellulite worse because it blocks your body’s natural ability to get rid of build-up toxins. It also puts a heavy load on your liver, which is responsible for detoxifying and burning fat.
Tip 2: Eat clean
A healthy diet plays a major role in keeping cellulite at bay. Follow these tips to naturally get rid of cellulite by alkalizing and nurturing your body:
- Add as many antioxidant-rich raw fruits and vegetables to your diet as possible. Use them in smoothies, juices, salads, soups, raw vegan pasta… A diet high in antioxidants will help you to produce extra collagen, which is one of the best natural ways to get rid of cellulite.
- If you don’t want to go fully raw, choose steamed vegetables, yams, sweet potato, lentils, quinoa and other healthy cooked foods that contain plenty of fiber and nutrients.
- If you’re not a vegan, limit your consumption of animal protein & dairy, and only choose high-quality products.
- Limit or eliminate your consumption of unfermented soy products, such as soy yoghurt, soy milk and tofu. Choose healthier fermented soy products instead, such as miso, tempeh and tamari, and replace soy milk with almond milk.
- Eliminate all processed foods, including fried foods, refined grain products and sweets. They are high in saturated fats & refined sugars, which will dramatically increase your cellulite by making your fat cells even bigger. Choose healthier options for your favorite snacks such as these raw vegan almond butter cookies.
Tip 3: Limit your salt intake
Reduce the amount of salt in your diet and always choose high-quality salt like Himalayan salt or unrefined sea salt. Sodium makes you retain excess water, making cellulite appear even worse. Foods that are extremely high in ‘hidden sodium’ include canned soup, bouillon cubes, salad dressings & sauces, chips, bread and cheese. You can get plenty of natural sodium from seaweed, fruits and vegetables such as celery & leafy greens.
Tip 4: Try dry body brushing
By treating yourself to a dry body brush every morning or evening before you shower, you will stimulate your circulation and break up fluids beneath your skin. This simple practice will detoxify your body, boost your metabolism and naturally reduce cellulite. Starting at your feet, gently brush your skin moving up towards your heart. Use light but firm stroked and go easy on the softer parts of your body. After brushing, take a shower to fully cleanse your skin. Finish by nourishing your skin with a natural moisturizer such as coconut oil or Shea butter.
Tip 5: Sweat it out
Sweating helps to clean the lymphatic system and detoxify the body. To get the best results, combine cardiovascular exercise and strength training. Cardio exercises such as dancing, rebounding, running or HIIT training will increase your blood circulation and flush out toxins. Strength training such as lounges, squats and Pilates will help you to develop lean muscle tissue in cellulite prone areas like your thighs and bottom. Bonus points to make your skin look even smoother: take a contrast shower after working out to further improve circulation. Start your shower with hot water, suddenly change to cold, go back to hot and repeat. If you don’t like to workout several times a week, you can always try gentle yoga stretches or sweat it out in the sauna.
Now I would love to hear from you! What are your secret tips to naturally get rid of cellulite? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.