What better way to celebrate summertime than by organizing a cozy dinner party for friends? If you ask me, there really is no love sincerer than the love of food. The way to my heart is definitely through my stomach! This Basil Quinoa Salad with Roasted Eggplant and Tomato is one of my favorite easy summer salads. It makes a great lunch on its own, but I usually serve it as a side salad with plenty of fresh greens and homemade vegan gluten free pizza. No easier way to please picky children and meat-loving sceptics! If you’re not in the mood for an Italian night, you can combine it with Middle-Eastern flavors like hummus, pomegranate and falafel too.
Basil Quinoa Salad with Roasted Eggplant and Tomato
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Slice your eggplant into thin rounds.
- Drizzle with some olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and herbs to taste.
- Roast the eggplant for 10 minutes or longer, until it’s tender enough to your taste.
- Leave the eggplant to cool for at least two minutes to prevent your lettuce from wilting.
- Combine cooked quinoa, lettuce and cherry tomatoes in a nice serving dish or bowl.
- Top with the eggplant, fresh basil and pine nuts.
- Season with black pepper, salt, olive oil and lemon juice to taste.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- This basil quinoa salad will stay fresh for 2 days or longer in an airtight container in the refrigerator, especially if you serve the dressing on the side.
- Not a big fan of eggplant? Replace it with zucchini (courgette), red bell pepper, pumpkin, fennel…
- I like to add kidney beans to this salad for extra protein and zinc.
Now I would love to hear from you! What are some of your favorite dishes to cook for friends? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.