Are you bored of having pasta salads or cheese sandwiches for lunch? Try this Summer Quinoa Salad! It is easy to take with you, it will satisfy your hunger without leaving you feeling bloated and it tastes absolutely delicious. I like to prepare it the day before so I can just take it out of the refrigerator in the morning. Now that’s what I call healthy fast food!
Summer Quinoa Salad
SERVES: 2 people
EQUIPMENT: cooking pot, stove, fine-mesh strainer, mixing bowl
3 large cups cooked quinoa (about 1 cup uncooked)
1 medium cucumber, finely chopped
20 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 ripe avocado, finely sliced or diced
2 large dried figs, finely chopped
10 black olives, pitted & finely chopped
2 handfuls of fresh basil
1 handful of fresh mint
- Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse it with cool water.
- Combine the quinoa with 2 cups of water in a cooking pot and bring to a rolling boil. You can add ¼ teaspoon of sea salt or (yeast and gluten free) vegetable stock as well.
- Lower the heat and cook covered for 5 to 10 minutes until the quinoa starts to ‘bloom’.
- Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the stove.
- Pour away any excess water and leave to cool.
- Once your quinoa has cooled down, add your other ingredients: cucumber, cherry tomatoes, avocado, dried figs, black olives, fresh basil and fresh mint. Mix well.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- This quinoa salad will stay fresh for at least 2 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- I like to eat this quinoa salad as it is, but if you prefer to add some dressing just mix some freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice with extra virgin olive oil, black pepper en Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt to taste.
- For extra nutrients and flavor, add some salad greens to this recipe. Arugula, Romaine lettuce & alfalfa sprouts go really well with this quinoa salad!
Now I would love to hear from you! What is your favorite quick lunch on the go? Do you have a favorite you want me to create a raw vegan version of? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.
Did you like this Summer Quinoa Salad? Take a look at this Mexican Fiesta Quinoa Salad too!