Are you often too busy or tired to cook an elaborate dinner during the week? Do you love quick one-pot meals that are simple, tasty ánd healthy? Do you like to switch it up with a vegan or vegetarian meal once and a while too?
Try this easy one-pot meal in the Air fryer: Sesame Crusted Tofu with Tenderstem Broccoli. It’s packed with flavor, easy to digest and low carb.
I love my Philips Air fryer XXL for vegetable fries, crispy chicken and even desserts (like these keto chocolate cupcakes) but most days I use it for quick meals where you can cook everything in one pot like this marinated tofu with sesame seeds and grilled vegetables.
The tofu is marinated in tamari (gluten free soy sauce) with spring onion and chili pepper. If you wish you can also add some toasted sesame oil and apple cider vinegar. Then crust the tofu with sesame seeds and bake it next to the vegetables in the air fryer basket, all together in one go. I used tenderstem broccoli and bell pepper for this eastern inspired recipe but feel free to use other vegetables like zucchini, fennel, Belgian endive… Or for a higher carb option: carrot, parsnip, parsley root, pumpkin…
Serve the tofu, tenderstem broccoli and red bell pepper with cauliflower rice (finely chopped cauliflower) and sliced avocado. It tastes even better with a creamy tahini sauce of (toasted) sesame seed pasta, lemon juice and a sprinkle of turmeric. For a variation on the sauce recipe, replace the tahini with peanut or almond butter, irresistible.
Not a fan of tofu? The flavors and vegetables in this dish work well with a piece of baked fish too. You can just put it in the Air fryer next to the seasoned vegetables. Minimal clean-up, maximum taste!
Would you like to try more simple one-pot meals?
Are you looking for more time-saving tips to whip up a delicious home-cooked meal in just minutes?
Let me know in the comments down below.
It would also help me a lot if you could give the video a thumbs up and subscribe to our YouTube channel. :)
Sesame Crusted Tofu with Tenderstem Broccoli (Vegan, Gluten Free, Low Carb)
- Pre-heat the airfryer at 180°C (350°F).
- Cut the tofu into triangles, slices or cubes.
- Marinate the tofu (for a few minutes of longer) in tamari with finely chopped spring onion and optionally some fresh chili pepper, sesame oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Cut the tenderstem broccoli in half lengthwise (the fastest way is to chop them in one bunch). Deseed the red bell pepper and cut it into (thin) slices.
- Put the marinated tofu in the Air fryer baking accessory or basket. Sprinkle with a generous amount of sesame seeds. Put the vegetables next to the tofu and season with the leftover marinade and some smoked paprika powder.
- Bake for 10 minutes or longer, until the tofu and vegetables are tender enough to your taste.
- For a quick ‘keto’ meal: serve the tofu and vegetables with a large spoonful of MCT oil and avocado. Top with parsley and apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice, if desired.
- For a more elaborate ‘low carb’ meal: serve with tahini sauce and cauliflower rice (homemade or store-bought).
- For the tahini sauce: mix the sesame paste with water and the juice of ½ lemon. Season with sea salt and black pepper; I often add some turmeric power too.
- For the cauliflower rice: chop the cauliflower into smaller pieces and pulse them into ‘rice’ with your food processor. You could also finely chop them by hand, or use store-bought cauliflower rice.
- Serve the baked tofu and vegetables on top of the cauliflower rice with sliced avocado, parsley and pomegranate seeds (optional) and a generous serving of tahini sauce.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- For a non-vegan variation on this recipe, replace the tofu with a piece of fish such as wild salmon, sea bass, mackerel…
- The vegetables and tofu will stay fresh for at least 2 days in the fridge; leftover tahini sauce for at least 4 days in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer.
Would you like me to share more simple one-pot meals + tips to save time in the kitchen? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.
Nutritional value (per person, just the baked tofu + vegetables as a side dish)
Carbohydrates 9.6 g, Protein 30.1 g, Fats 15 g, Calories 292.6 kcal
Nutritional value (per person, baked tofu + vegetables with 1 avocado & 1 tablespoon MCT oil as a main dish)
Carbohydrates 12.1 g, Protein 32.8 g, Fats 49.9 g, Calories 653.4 kcal
Nutritional value (per person, baked tofu + vegetables with 2 cups cauliflower rice, ½ avocado & 4 tablespoons tahini sauce as a main dish)
Carbohydrates 20 g, Protein 38.3 g, Fats 32.6 g, Calories 544.8 kcal