Looking for a delicious fall salad that is packed with flavor and that will warm you up during those chilly autumn nights? This Raw Beetroot Salad with Macadamia Cashew Cheese couldn’t be easier to prepare! Have you tried candy cane beets before? They taste even sweeter than regular purple beets and they are incredibly appealing to the eye thanks to their pink and white stripes. By marinating the beets you will be able to mask their ‘earthy’ flavor, so even if you’re not a big fan of beets you should really try this recipe!
Raw Beetroot Salad with Macadamia Cashew Cheese
SERVES: 4 people
EQUIPMENT: food processor, rubber spatula, mandolin/vegetable peeler/chef knife, mixing bowl
Macadamia Cashew Cheese
½ cup of macadamia nuts
½ cup of cashews
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of white ‘Shiro’ miso
¼ teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
2 candy cane beets (or regular beets), cut into fine slices
1 small clove of garlic, pressed
1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
1/8 teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (or more to taste)
1 large ripe avocado, fine slices
1 large pear, fine slices
2 handfuls of fresh dill
2 handfuls of watercress
Horseradish, grated & to taste
Lemon juice, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Macadamia Cashew Cheese
- Combine macadamia nuts and cashews in the food processor fitted with an S-blade. Process until coarsely ground.
- Add nutritional yeast, lemon juice, miso and salt. Process again until well combined.
- Cut your beets into fine slices using a mandolin, vegetable peeler or chef knife.
- Place the slices in a mixing bowl and add garlic, black pepper, salt and olive oil.
- Mix well and leave to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Cover each plate with marinated beet slices.
- Add avocado, pear, dill, watercress and horseradish.
- Top with macadamia cashew cheese to taste, freshly squeezed lemon juice and black pepper.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- This Macadamia Cashew Cheese will stay fresh for at least 1 week in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Do you love adding cheese crumble to your salads and zucchini pasta? If you dehydrate this Macadamia Cashew Cheese overnight, it will stay fresh for at least 1 month in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Don’t throw away the beet greens! They are really high in essential nutrients such as iron (even more than spinach), magnesium and zinc. You can add them to your salads, juices and smoothies.
Now I would love to hear from you! What is your favorite way of using beets? Do you turn them into noodles with a spiralizer, do you add them to your juices or do you use them in desserts and crackers? Any suggestions are welcome, so please leave a comment down below.