Today I’m treating you to my absolute favorite comfort food: pizza! And not just any pizza… Keto Pizza with a Cheesy Crust from my newest book Keto in 15 Minuten.
The gluten free crust only has 3 main ingredients (no flour or yeast) and you can bake it immediately in just 15 minutes (no need to wait and leave it on the counter to rise).
The only thing you need for the crust is an egg (or flax seed for a vegan version, see tips), almond flour (or finely ground sunflower seeds for a nut free version) and grated cheese (organic stores also offer dairy free and vegan alternatives).
Cooking with the Philips Air fryer XXL will save you a lot of time since it’s a lot quicker than a conventional oven. The pizza crust also gets a lot crunchier and you can even put the removable Airfryer parts in the dish washer, which always comes in handy right? ;-)
For the pizza toppings, feel free to get creative! I love fully loaded pizzas with lots of vegetables and Mediterranean toppings like olives, marinated artichokes, capers, anchovies… For a luxurious ‘festive’ pizza, I love adding chopped mushrooms and thin slices of truffle too.
Quick, easy, healthy ánd bursting with flavor, no take-away pizza can beat that!
I’d love to hear what you think of this keto pizza and what your favorite toppings are so don’t forget to leave a comment down below.
PS: At the moment we don’t have an English version of the new book available yet but if the book gets translated in the future (US publishers, where you at? ;-)) I’ll let you know!
In the meantime have a look at our English Keto Made Easy eBook bundle if you’d like to get started with keto or intermittent fasting :)
15-Minute Keto Pizza with Cheesy Crust (Low Carb, Gluten Free, Only 3 Main Ingredients)
- Beat the egg with a fork until the yolk and white are combined. Mix with the grated cheese and almond flour. Season with Italian herbs and a few pinches of sea salt if desired.
- Put the dough on baking paper and shape into a thin round crust of about 2 to 4 inches thick. The thinner, the crunchier it will get.
- Slide the pizza crust onto the Air fryer pizza accessory.
- Place the pizza accessory in the Air fryer. Bake for 10 minutes at 350°F.
- In the meantime you can prepare your toppings. I used cubed zucchini, halved cherry tomatoes, pitted olives, marinated artichokes and green asparagus (finely sliced using a vegetable peeler).
- After 10 minutes, remove the crust from the Air fryer. Do you prefer an extra crunchy crust? Flip the crust, remove the baking paper and bake for another 5 minutes at 350°F before adding the toppings.
- Is your crust golden brown and crunchy? Add toppings of your choice: tomate paste with olive oil, a few chunks of mozzarella or a few spoonfuls of vegan nut cheese, and other toppings such as pesto, vegetables, olives, anchovies…
- Place the pizza back in the Air fryer for another 3 to 5 minutes at 350°F, until the cheese is melted and the vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with fresh oregano or basil if desired.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- For a vegan crust, replace the egg with a tablespoon of flax seeds mixed with a little water until it becomes a gel, and the dairy cheese with vegan cheese (from your local organic store). Keep in mind that some vegan cheeses are higher in carbs so not ‘keto proof’. Don't use the nut cheese for the crust, that won't work.
- Looking for more keto pizza recipes? There’s a recipe for low carb cauliflower crust pizza in our English Start to Keto eBook.
- For a higher carb pizza you can add finely sliced pumpkin, beetroot, parsnip… on top. Deliciously sweet with the salty cheeze, pesto or olives!
How do you like to garnish your pizza? Do you prefer simple classics like pizza Margherita, or fully loaded pizzas with lots of toppings? Any tips for fun flavor combinations? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.
Nutritional value (per pizza slice with tomato paste and mozzarella, no extra toppings)
- Calories 243 kcal
- Net carbs 3 g
- Protein 12.5 g
- Fats 19.3 g