Bananas are such a wonderful fruit! They add so much flavor and creaminess to smoothies & they make the best raw vegan ice cream. Today’s recipe for Chocolate Dipped Frozen Banana Bites is even easier than banana ice cream. All you need to do, is put a couple of peeled ripe bananas on a stick, freeze them and then dip them in raw chocolate sauce & add your favorite toppings. This makes such a refreshing summer snack and it’s really fun to make it with kids too!
Chocolate Dipped Frozen Banana Bites
SERVES: 8 banana bites
EQUIPMENT: popsicle sticks, blender
4 large ripe bananas, peeled
raw chocolate sauce
toppings or your choice
- shredded coconut
- finely chopped almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts…
- cacao nibs
- granola (I used ALL GOOD vanilla coconut granola)
- citrus zest: orange, lime, lemon, mandarin…
- dried fruit: goji berries, mulberries, raisins… (I used ALL GOOD super berry mix)
- Peel the bananas, cut them in half and place the popsicle sticks in the half-bananas.
- Put them on a plate lined with parchment paper and freeze them, preferably overnight. You want these to be completely frozen before you dip them into the warm chocolate sauce so they stay firm.
- Prepare the chocolate sauce by combining melted coconut oil, cacao powder, maple syrup, vanilla and salt in your blender. Blend for 10 to 20 seconds until well combined and add water as needed to thin the sauce.
- Dip the frozen half-bananas in the chocolate sauce and immediately add your toppings of choice before the chocolate hardens.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- You could also prepare this chocolate sauce by simmering water in a small saucepan and placing a glass bowl on top to create a double boiler. Make sure not to overheat the chocolate so it doesn’t separate.
- Don’t have time to make fresh chocolate sauce? Just melt your favorite pure chocolate chips.
- If you freeze these chocolate dipped frozen banana bites overnight, make sure to leave them out of the freezer at least 5 minutes before serving them – otherwise they’ll be too hard to enjoy.
Now I would love to hear from you! What used to be your favorite ice cream popsicle flavor when you were young? Did you prefer fruit ice pops, chocolate covered vanilla ice cream ‘Magnum’ popsicles…? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.