Are you looking for quick and easy low carb meals that are perfect for busy weekdays? These Smoked Salmon Rolls with Broccoli Mash from my newest book Low Carb Lekker en Snel are a creative take on ‘chicons au gratin’ with ham and cheese.
A true comfort food classic! I used to love them as a child with just cheese, no ham. :-)
In this low carb version, I’ve replaced the mashed potatoes with broccoli mash and the cooked ham with smoked salmon. This way, the dish is meat free and suitable for pescatarians too.
The recipe is dairy free as well; I like to use a splash of plant-based milk in the broccoli mash. You can easily make the mash in advance, that way you’ll only need to cook the Belgian endive right before dinnertime so that the entire dish can be ready in just 10 minutes.
PS: would you love to try keto or the low carb lifestyle to have more energy, strengthen your immune system and support your fat-burning metabolism but are you unsure how to start? I show you exactly how in our renewed Food Freedom video program that we’ll be launching on Tuesday October 4th.
The Food Freedom program is an online video course (in Dutch, Nederlandstalig) with masterclasses, cooking demo videos, menu plans, recipe eBooks and more. Everything you need to free yourself from dieting, curb cravings and turn your body into a natural fat-burner.
For more details and to join our waiting list, go to www.foodfreedom.be.
Smoked Salmon Rolls with Broccoli Mash (Keto, Low Carb, Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
- Bring two pots with water to a boil, one for the broccoli and one for the Belgian endive.
- Cut the broccoli into florets, peel the stem, and cut it into cubes. Cook the broccoli for 5 minutes until tender and drain.
- In the meantime, cook the Belgian endive until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Blend the cooked broccoli with two spoonfuls of olive oil or butter until creamy. Add (almond) milk or water until you reach the desired consistency. Season with black pepper and sea salt (I like to keep it mild because the smoked salmon is already salty).
- Roll each piece of Belgian endive in a slice of smoked salmon. Serve on top of the broccoli mash.
- Garnish with dill or parsley and chopped pistachio or pine nuts.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
Replace the smoked salmon with smoked halibut for a flavor variation.
What are your favorite comfort food meals? Spaghetti, mashed potatoes, pizza, mac ‘n cheese… Let me know by leaving a comment down below.
Nutritional value (per person)
Carbohydrates 9.6 g
Protein 10.3 g
Fats 25.6 g
Calories 338.8 kcal