During summertime I love having lunch outside. It makes me happy, it helps me to recharge my batteries and also to clear my mind after a long morning at work. This Plum & Pesto Quinoa Salad makes a great on-the-go lunch to have outdoors. It’s really satisfying, easy to throw together and packed with flavor. I love taking this to a potluck or a fun weekend picnic as well.
Plum & Pesto Quinoa Salad
SERVES: 2 people
EQUIPMENT: food processor, rubber spatula (or pestle and mortar)
2 cups basil
1 cup mint
1 cup spinach
4 tablespoons pine nuts, raw or lightly toasted
4 tablespoons walnuts (or cashews, sunflower seeds…)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or more to taste)
1 large teaspoon nutritional yeast
Black pepper & Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt, to taste
1 ½ cup cooked quinoa
½ cup pesto
2 plums (or peaches, nectarines, apples, pears…)
2 small tomatoes
3 large handfuls leafy greens: spinach, Romaine lettuce, curly endive, arugula…
1 handful fresh basil
1 handful fresh mint
Pine nuts, raw or lightly toasted
- Combine basil, mint and spinach in a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Pulse until finely ground.
- Add pine nuts, walnuts, extra virgin olive oil, nutritional yeast, black pepper and salt to taste. Process until well combined. If your pesto is too thick, add extra olive oil or some water.
- Mix the quinoa with the pesto.
- Serve the quinoa al pesto with slices of plum, tomato and leafy greens.
- Garnish with extra basil, munt and pine nuts to taste. Super simple and delicious!
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- This Plum & Pesto Quinoa Salad will stay fresh for at least 2 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you store the pesto in a separate container, it will stay fresh even longer.
- Looking for a fun dish to serve the 4th of July to celebrate Independence Day? Replace the plums with fresh blueberries and raspberries or sliced strawberries!
Now I would love to hear from you! What are your favorite meals or snacks to enjoy outside during summertime: watermelon slices, carrots & hummus, quick wraps…? Let me know by leaving a comment down below.