- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or coconut oil, butter)
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 boxes (4 cups = 500 g) mushrooms
- 200 ml (1 small cup) coconut cream, unsweetened
- Splash of fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 package (200 g) smoked tempeh
- 2 tablespoons tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- Black pepper and sea salt
Garnish: pomegranate seeds, roughly chopped macadamia nuts, sprouts or parsley
Do you love creamed mushrooms on toast and are you looking for a low carb alternative to bread? These Coconut Cream Mushrooms on Zucchini Toast with Tempeh ‘Bacon’ are gluten free and bursting with flavor! You can serve them as a savory breakfast, Sunday brunch or quick weekday lunch.
You can replace the traditional white bread with slices of grilled zucchini, eggplant, celeriac, kohlrabi… or for a higher carb meal, use grilled pumpkin or sweet potato toast.
To keep the creamed mushrooms vegan I used pure coconut cream. You can find alternatives in the tips down below.
If you want to add even more flavor, you can serve the creamed mushrooms on toast with slices of ‘vegan bacon’ aka grilled tempeh. If you marinate it with smoked paprika and tamari, the tempeh gets a lovely savory flavor. It’s also a great source of plant-based protein and fiber. I like to add it to soups, salads and ‘pasta carbonara’ with zucchini noodles.
Would you like to have these coconut cream mushrooms on zucchini toast as a main dish? Serve them with a mixed green salad + a simple dressing of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper and sea salt, and double the amount of tempeh. You could also serve the zucchini toast with two softly boiled or poached eggs (per person).
If you’d love to taste this recipe and watch us prepare it ‘live’ during our cooking demo at Goed Gevoel Ladies Fair with Philips, come and join us for our vegan keto workshop at 11am on Saturday March 30th :)
Coconut Cream Mushrooms on Zucchini Toast (Vegan Keto, Low Carb, Gluten Free)
- Slice the tempeh into small strips of +/- ½ inch (1 cm) thick. Marinate with a spoonful of olive oil, tamari, turmeric, smoked paprika powder and some black pepper.
- Cut the zucchini into slices of about ¼ inch (½ cm) thick. Season with 3 spoonfuls of olive oil, pepper and salt.
- Bake both in the Airfryer for 10 minutes at 350°F (180°C), until the tempeh is nice and crunchy.
- In the meantime, chop the mushrooms into smaller pieces. Add to the Airfryer baking tin (or another heatproof bowl) with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Cook in the Airfryer for 8 minutes at 350°F (180°C).
- Mix in the coconut cream and season with pepper and salt. You can add a splash of fresh lemon juice too. Cook for another 2 minutes so all the flavors can come together.
- Serve the zucchini toast with the coconut cream mushrooms and tempeh bacon. Garnish with pomegranate seeds, chopped macadamia nuts and sprouts or parsley.
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS:
- We used the Philips Airfryer XXL, excellent to save time in the kitchen!
- Don’t have an Airfryer at home? You can also prepare this dish with two large pans (one to grill the zucchini and one to bake the mushrooms) or an oven. The zucchini and tempeh will be less crunchy but still packed with flavor.
- You could also add a spoonful of gluten free nutritional yeast (a vegan cheese alternative) to the mushrooms, or some finely chopped onion and garlic to boost the flavor.
- Don’t like coconut? Other vegan alternatives to dairy cream include organic non-GMO soy cream and unsweetened oat cream (higher in carbs, not grain free). You could also use homemade macadamia or cashew cream by blending soaked nuts with some water into smooth nut cream.
- You could also chill a can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge for at least 24h and scoop out the solid coconut cream.
Would you like to try more low carb alternatives to bread, cookies, pasta, cereal, oatmeal, rice, mashed potatoes…?
Leave a comment down below and tell me which recipes you would like to see here on the blog!
Nutritional value (per person)
Net carbs 7 g, Protein 18,5 g, Fats 37,6 g, Calories 444 kcal